Saturday, September 6, 2008

Back to school - NOT

Our back to school started Monday, September 1. Yeah, I know, that's a holiday but we did a lot of organization stuff and a few math problems and memorized some poetry. Easy stuff. The first week went really well and I am very thankful that I have the opportunity to experience learning with Bradley.

The FREEDOM of homeschooling is one of those things you may not understand until you do it. Organized schools, whether public or private, cover families with RULES. Whether you have a student at your house or not, most citizens don't realize how much of their life schedule is dicatated by school schedules. Not to mention how every taxpayer pays for government schools whether they ever use it or not. In NC, those of us who participate in non-public education pay twice. We pay taxes, and then we either pay private school tuition or we pay for curriculum, co-ops, labs, etc.

With one week under my belt, I am moving forward and adding a subject this week "Analytical Grammar." Interesting curriculum. Written by a school teacher, we study grammar for 10 weeks and then do "refresher/reminder" work once every two weeks for the remainder of the year. I'm really looking forward to 10 weeks of grammar and then being able to move on from that. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: